Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) is a coenzyme that is central to metabolism; in other words, it is imperative for your dietary and bodybuilding goals. Do you think that your NAD could use a pick-me-up?
If so, you’ll find that there’s no shortage of supplements to choose from, and Tru Niagen is one brand that has been getting a lot of attention as of late. Before you decide to invest and ingest it, however, there’s no doubt that you’re going to want to make sure that you’re making the right choice.
Is NAD a high-quality product? Can you trust it? Will it actually help to boost your NAD? We took the liberty of doing the research for. After our experts examined several studies, they reveal some handy information that you can use to decide if Tru Niagen is the right option for you.
About Tru Niagen
A lot of things happen to the body as it ages; some of those things are good, and some of them aren’t so good. Tru Niagen offers supplements that are intended to help you combat some of those not so good things that happen as you age; specifically, improving your metabolism. According to studies (listed below in more detail), the products that Tru Niagen provides can help to boost your overall health and well-being as you age.
>Tru Niagen isn’t the only NAD+ booster out there, check out their biggest competitor (Elysium Health) too!
While it’s true that more research studies need to be conducted in order to come to solid conclusions, the information that has been provided by the studies that have been done thus far have found that, in fact, Tru Niagen may be able to help you combat specific types of biological conditions that have been linked to various types of health issues, such as diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and slowed metabolism.
According to the Tru Niagen website (www.truniagen.com), Rob Fried, the CEO of the company, claims that he understands that people want to get everything that they can out of each and every moment of their lives. To support this goal, the company offers the highest quality NAD supplements that are founded on science and that are designed to improve the overall health and well-being of those who take them.
Tru Niagen Timeline of Events
The following is an outline of the timeline of events, from the start of Tru Niagen, up until present day.
- 1999 – CrhomaDex was founded. The ChromaDex company, the founders behind Tru Niagen, was founded. The company was the result of relationships between top universities and institutions. They were founded on science and research, with the objective of finding and licensing early-stage, IP-backed ingredient technologies.
- 2004 – Discovery made by Dr Brenner. In 2004, Dr. Charles Brenner made an amazing discovery – the nicotinamide riboside that could boost levels of cellular resources that are regarded as “NAD+”, which has a vital function in the health of cells.
- 2012 – ChromaDex and Dr. Brenner. The patents to ChromaDex were licensed exclusively to Dr. Brenner’s research, which forged the path to create the revolutionary science that is behind Tru Niagen.
- 2013 – Niagen is Created. ChromaDex was continuing to develop a strong portfolio of patents that focused on nicotinamide riboside, and they commercialized the ingredient under the name Niagen.
- 2015 – FDA NDI. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviewed Niagen under their New Dietary Ingredient (NDI) notification program.
- 2016 – FDA GRAS. A year later, in 2016, Niagen was successfully notified to FDA as Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) supplement.
- 2017 – Tru Niagen is launched in the US. In 2017, ChromaDex acquired Healthspan Research, LLC and began selling Tru Niagen products.
- 2018 – Health Canada approval. In 2018, Health Canada granted ChromaDex regulatory approval to sell Tru Niagen in Canada.
- 2019 – Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration Approval. The next year, nicotinamide riboside chloride (NR) was approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) as a complimentary medicine in Australia.
- 2020 – EU Commission Approval and Research Studies. In 2020, 10 human clinical trials were published that demonstrated the safety and/or efficacy of Tru Niagen in elevating NAD+. The European Commission also voted in favor of using nicotinamide riboside chloride (NR) ingredient as a novel food, after the positive views that were offered by the EFSA.
As you can clearly see from the timeline listed above, Tru Niagen is based on science. A lot of rigorous science and testing was done to find and confirm the safety of this product, and it has been found that it does increase NAD+ levels.
Why Should You Trust ChromaDex?
So, why exactly should you trust ChromaDex? Well, for one thing, it’s backed by scientists who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, one of the most prestigious accolades that can be awarded to a scientist. Extensive research has also been published in peer-reviewed human clinical studies that have found that it is safe and effective. It is also regulatory accepted by four of the most rigorous regulatory bodies in the world ,including the United States, the European Union, Canada, and Australia.
- Nicotinamide Riboside Augments the Aged Human Skeletal Muscle NAD+ Metabolome and Induces Transcriptomic and Anti-inflammatory Signatures
- Nicotinamide Riboside—The Current State of Research and Therapeutic Uses
- Effects of Nicotinamide Riboside on Endocrine Pancreatic Function and Incretin Hormones in Nondiabetic Men With Obesity
- Nicotinamide riboside does not alter mitochondrial respiration, content or morphology in skeletal muscle from
obese and insulin-resistant men
- The U.S. Military Is Testing a Pill That Could Delay Aging
- Impacts of Nicotinamide Riboside on Functional Capacity and Muscle Physiology in Older Veterans (NR-VET)
- Effects of Nicotinamide Riboside on the Clinical Outcome of Covid-19 in the Elderly (NR-COVID19)
The team behind Tru Niagen is committed to and passionate about science and they encourage strong, rigorous research and testing to support their claims. They have dedicated research and development facilities, which are located in Longmont, Colorado, that are outfitted with the most advanced machinery and where the most state-of-the-art technologies and techniques are used.
In addition, Tru Niagen has more than 200 research collaborations through the ChromaDex External Research Program (CERP). In other words, science is behind everything that the Tru Niagen team does, and it is this revolutionary science that has led to the discovery, development, and approval of this cutting-edge product.
*Check out my other first-hand supplement reviews:
- Top 5 Supplements for Recovery & Sleep Support
- Pterostilbene: The Ultimate Resveratrol Killer?
- Supporting Muscle Growth By Augmenting Your Diet With Quality Supplements
- Is CBD Oil Good For Bodybuilders?
- Long Term Review of Clear Muscle: How HMB-FA Works For Hard Gainers
- Performance Lab Supplements Reviewed
Nicotinamide Riboside & Bodybuilding
Outside of general health and longevity another reason for my trying (Skinny Yoked editor here) Tru Niagen is to also help progress my fitness goals, specifically helping to support muscle growth.
At this point in life, at 33, with a full-time job, I constantly feel worn out, particularly when I’m trying to pull heavy weight (compound lift days) in the gym. It seems like, despite getting 8+ hours of sleep, I’m constantly, or my body is constantly, in a state of wear and tear.
Cycling my workout program (deload weeks) and taking breaks has helped, but it’s also slowed down my progress. After lifting for over a decade (with some breaks in there) I feel like injecting my cells with a bit of energy can only be a good thing.
I can’t afford to take nicotinamide riboside continually, perpetually forever, but on top of a healthy diet of whole organic foods and quality sleep I’m thinking cycling it for a few months can help my cells refuel for the continual abuse I heap upon them.
The studies on NR on skeletal muscle in terms of metabolism and body composition are promising, and impacts on cardiovascular health is also exciting.
How do I feel after a months worth of Tru Niagen? Well, they’re no steroids but I do generally feel like my tank is closer to 100% full when I wake up in the morning vs the non-supplemented periods where at best mornings start out about 80% ready-to-go, only peaking at 90% or so after a couple cups of coffee.
Are my gains exploding? Off the wall strength? Are these like when I did my SARM experiment? No, not even close. Tru Niagen is more of a nutrient-insurance policy to preserve cellular health in the long run, because I’d very much like to be enthusiastically lifting weights well into old age.
How to Order
If you’re interested in giving Tru Niagen a try and you’d like to order your supplements, you can easily to do by simply visiting their website – www.truniagen.com.
Once you’re on the site, simply scroll to “products” and browse through the options, select whatever it is that you’d like to buy, add it to your cart, and complete your purchase. Alternatively, you can browse through the list of retail locations that are published on the website to purchase the product in-person.