Are you looking to bulk-up? Maybe you’re trying to shed some pounds? Perhaps you just want to live a healthier lifestyle? Whatever the case may be, you may be thinking about adding protein powder into your diet. There’s just one problem, however: all of the protein powders you’ve found are dairy-based, and you can’t do dairy.
Maybe it’s because you’re lactose intolerant or because you’re a vegetarian or a vegan; no matter the reason, you’ll be happy to know that you don’t have to forego your desire to add protein powder and all of the benefits it provides to your diet. How? – By investing in vegan protein powder!
So many people are ditching dairy and are moving to plant-based diets, and in order to support this constantly growing market, there’s been a massive influx in the amount of vegan protein powders. In fact, these days, there are so many dairy-free, vegan-friendly protein powders on the market that trying to decide which one to choose can leave you feeling dizzy.
Have no fear, because we’re here to support you on your quest for finding the highest quality, tastiest, and most nutrient-rich, yet totally dairy- and animal byproduct-free, vegan-friendly protein powders.
>Read our first-hand review of the best (tasting & mixing!) vegan protein we’ve ever tried in Plant Era
After spending endless hours conducting extensive research and reading through the product descriptions and user reviews of dozens of different types of vegan protein powders, we’ve narrowed down the options to what we believe are the top picks.
But first, what makes protein powder vegan?
Before we dive into our list of vegan-friendly protein powders, you’re probably asking, “What is it that makes protein powder vegan, anyway?”
That’s a great question, considering the fact that when you walk into a health food store or hit up an online health supply shop, you’ll find endless protein powder options. Of course, all of those powders aren’t vegan, as they contain either dairy or some other type of animal-based byproduct.
So, what is a vegan protein powder? In order to be considered truly vegan-friendly, the ingredients must be 100% plant-based. There are several plants that are excellent sources of protein, like peas, hemp, soy, and rice. Soy tends to be the most popular source, as it’s inexpensive.
With that said, you want to make sure that when you’re shopping for vegan protein powder that you thoroughly read through the ingredients. If you have questions about any of the ingredients that are listed, find out what they are derived of so that you can be certain that they aren’t animal-based.
Additionally, a high-quality vegan protein powder will get it’s protein from a variety of plants, which will ensure that you are getting a wider variety of essential amino acids and vital nutrients that the body needs to be fit, healthy, and to thrive.
Why should you consider a protein powder if you’re a vegan?
While opting to eat a vegan-friendly diet is certainly a noble cause, it isn’t without its challenges; particularly in regard to protein intake. Because this diet completely eliminates all sources of meat and other animal-based products, you’ll be cutting out a lot of protein.
Protein is vital for your overall health and well-being, as it’s the building block of muscles; therefore, if you’re vegan, you want to make sure that you’re focusing on getting the appropriate amount of protein.
The levels of protein that you’ll need to ingest depends on your particular objectives.
For a simple example, if you weigh 140 pounds, consuming 98 grams is the ideal amount of protein to support your health; however, if you want to shed some fat and pump-up your muscles, aim for 1 gram of protein per each pound (in the given example of 140 pounds, you’d want to get 140 grams of protein per day).
Best Vegan Protein Powders
So, with all of the above said, let’s jump in and take a look at our top picks for the best vegan protein powders on the market in terms of quality, value, and average consumer reviews.
- ALL ORGANIC & PLANT-BASED PROTEIN: Our organic plant-based protein powder formula is made from all-natural ingredients including 22 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbs, all the while being completely vegan. We include 20+ superfoods for added...
- PROTEIN POWDER FOR SENSITIVE STOMACHS: Our inclusive plant-based protein formula makes use of pea protein as well as rice protein, also includes digestive enzymes to help break down the plant protein, which helps eliminate bloating while maximizing...
- GREAT FOR MOMS & KIDS: We are pleased to be chosen as the #1 Ranking Organic Protein Powder by Katie Pickett of Joyful Messes as well as the Best Vegan Protein Powder by Men's Journal.
- THE CLEANEST INGREDIENTS: Clean, whole-food ingredients sourced from USDA organic certified farms. Always non-GMO and free from gluten, dairy, fillers, and artificial ingredients. Heavy metal tested. Safe for kids and breastfeeding or pregnant mamas.
Ora So Lean an So Clean Vegan Protein Powder
Since protein is such a vital element for your overall health and well-being, you want to make sure that the protein source that you’re ingesting is the best, and that’s exactly what you’ll get with Ora So Lean and So Clean.
Not only is it completely free of dairy and animal-derived ingredients, but it’s also gluten, soy, peanut-, and tree nut-free. Not only that, but it’s also totally free of harmful and gross GMOs, fillers, artificial flavors, artificial colors, added sugars, and even preservatives.
Just because it’s free of all of these things, however, that doesn’t mean that it’s bland and flavorless. In fact, it’s made with organic cocoa, which gives this protein powder a fantastic flavor; mix some into a cold glass of plant-based milk for a glass of protein-packed, healthful chocolate milk. It’s also comprised of a total of 20 organic superfoods, so you can be sure that you’re getting all of the amino acids that you need.
- 22 grams of plant-based protein per serving
- Totally vegan-friendly
- Packed with superfoods
- USDA Certified Organic
- Offers a complete serving of amino acids
- Great tasting
- The stevia may be a bit too sweet for some
- There are lower priced options out there
- Vegan Formula
- 100% Soy and Dairy Free
- 100% Gluten Free
- 100% Cholesterol Free
Naturade Vegan Smart
If you’re looking for a smooth, yet sweet (but not overbearingly so) protein vegan-friendly protein powder, than Naturade Vegan Smart is a great choice. It offers up 20 grams of protein per serving and is super-easy to blend together with other protein-based ingredients, such as hemp, chia, or chlorella.
In addition to providing an excellent source of protein, this powder also packs all of the essential vitamins and minerals you need to thrive, as well as a healthy dose of fiber.
- Packed with essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other good-for-you elements
- Derived from several sources of protein
- Sweet, but not too sweet
- 20 grams of protein per serving is slightly less than some other vegan proteins
- It isn’t completely organic
- PREMIUM PLANT PROTEIN: Clean Lean Protein is not just any protein; it comes from the highest quality European Golden peas grown in France.
- SMOOTH & DELICIOUS: Not chalky, gritty, or pea-y. Our protein is smooth, mild, and delicious. Plus, it contains no added sugar, stevia, or artificial sweeteners. *Not a low-calorie food
- HIGH PROTEIN: With 18-21 grams of protein per 25-gram serving, less than 2 grams of carbs, and only 90 calories, our protein is one of the leanest and most potent plant-based proteins on the market. Contains 9 Amino Acids
- MADE FOR YOU: No matter if you are vegan, vegetarian, or follow a gluten-free, or ketogenic diet, or omnivorous diet, our plant-based protein is easy to digest and gentle on your tummy.
Nuzest Clean Lean Protein
Offering up 21 grams of protein per serving, this vegan-friendly protein powder is one of the best GMO-free vegan protein powders out there. Since nothing in this powder is genetically modified, you can have peace of mind knowing that it will fit right into your healthy vegan lifestyle. While it has limited sources of protein, there are only three ingredients, so you can be sure that it’s natural, GMO-free, and vegan-friendly.
- 21 grams of protein per serving
- Simple, yet healthful ingredients
- Mixes/ blends well
- Some buyers noted that it has a bit of a chalky texture, which if you like Tums may not be a con but for some it is..
- More plant variety of sources of protein would be better
Skinny Yoked Summary
Vegan proteins are not only good for the environment because they’re sourced via sustainable low-eco impact plants but also because of the ripple effect not choosing cattle-derived dairy has. It’s been well documented that commercial cattle farming is a devastating practice in terms of impact on our environment so finding alternatives should be a priority for everyone.
Additionally, speaking from personal experience, years of consuming various whey protein blends used to wreak havoc on my gut, usually in the form of excessive flatulence and diarrhea.
Vegan protein, because it doesn’t contain lactose and also usually contains a good amount of fiber is actually healthy for my gut and results in less gastrointestinal distress, which in turn allows for high volumes of protein shakes to be consumed more frequently which, in turn, results in better nutrition and more muscle production over the long term.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API