First, this hack will definitely make you look like you have added 5 pounds to your physique. Adding 5 pounds of real scale-tipping mass instantly is impossible but appearing to have added 5 pounds can easily be done.
How? Remove your body hair. Yes. Removing your chest, belly and back hair will instantly make you look like you’ve added 5 pounds while also making you look like you’ve dropped your body fat % by a good 3-5 percentage points.
By simply removing body hair, getting tan, and hitting a solid pose under perfect lighting conditions you can go from amateur to pro in a matter of minutes. This is referred to as being “half natty” and is a joke coined by master of half-natty settings; Matt Ogus
Understanding Half-Natty Physiques
Enter the world of “half natty” lighting. Matt Ogus is a master promoter of this mystical art wherein you pose shirtless under just the right lighting conditions to maximize the visual effect of your physique.
If you’ve been bodybuilding for any decent length of time you know it’s all about the angles, the pose and the lighting. Get any one of these “trifecta requirements” wrong and you can literally look pounds smaller/weaker than you actually are.
So how do you maximize your half natty potential?
Well we’ve actually written a whole guide on how you can best maximize your natty genetics to look “enhanced” without really being enhanced.
While the less hair of you can jump write into the above guide, if you’re like us, you first have to deal with your Chewbacca ass before worrying about posing, tanning and lighting.
Why Bodybuilders Should Consider Manscaping
Body hair. You spend so much of your time wanting it. From your first wispy little fu manchu mustache to your tiny inner-pec chest hairs developing hair as a man is one of the most manly things you can do.
Skinny Yoked isn’t hating on body hair, we’d be dumb to do so as most of the worlds strongest men, literally called “strongmen”, who squat our total combined 1RM for reps, all rock the hairy barbarian body look.
Lot of women like running their hands through a forest of chest hair. Just like beards body hair can be a great accessory when pursuing your ultimate inner Viking.
For bodybuilding though having body hair comes with a cost; it dulls your physique.
First, body hair, depending on how dark it is, greatly blurs the lines of your muscle bodies, making the “definition” many bodybuilders strive for harder to obtain. You might have a nice 12% body fat percentage but because you’re covered in hair and pale as a vampire nobody can tell.
Removing chest, stomach and back hair can not only highlight the natural creases and lines of a well built physique but also allow sunlight to reach your skin, resulting in a tan, which further highlights the shadows and peaks of your physique.
There is a reason all bodybuilding competitions have all the contestants covered in instant tanner, it makes you look more shredded than you really are!
Best Methods for Removing Body Hair for Men
Over the years men have been borrowing body hair removal techniques from women, who have been doing this much longer and much more regularly than we have.
Hair removal techniques vary greatly by the amount of pain involved, how permanent it is, and how much it costs.
Choosing a hair removal process requires you to first determine how much pain you can accept, if you want the hair gone forever or just temporarily, and of course, how much cash you have to spend.
Method 1: Body Waxing
Waxing… you’ve seen it in the movies, you’ve heard your girlfriend talk about it during bikini season, but it’s something you’ve always avoided.
Removing your body hair, such as chest and back hair via waxing can be quite painful, but it can also be done relatively cheaply and over time will require fewer and fewer treatments.
If you continue waxing regularly for years your hair will eventually just give up on life and you will be successfully hair-free. You have to earn this however over the course of hundreds of painful treatments of literally tearing your hairs, roots and all, out of your flesh.
It might be a good idea to get your very first waxing done at a professional salon so you can observe a trained professional so you know exactly how to do it. Once you got the process down you can buy your own materials off Amazon and get your girlfriend, wife or very good friend to help you wax your own chest and back.
A couple of things to make sure to look for when shopping around for self-waxing products:
- All natural materials make for less skin irritation
- Don’t accidentally buy facial waxing kits as the strips are too small for large areas like your chest and back
- Look for out-of-the-box solutions that don’t require a stand alone melting pot as the ready-to-use ones can be used during travel
- Look for not only highly reviewed items but items that have sold a lot over time to ensure quality and reliability
Below are some of the most highly reviewed, natural self-waxing kits that men can use on their chest, back and legs:
If waxing is just too scary for you then there are two more options you may want to consider to get that smooth clean look that accentuates your physique.
Method 2: Shaving
Shaving is definitely the least painful option of all the options here, and over time is also one of the cheapest as well since you only have to invest once in a quality body shaver as opposed to multiple orders of wax.
If you already use an electric shaver for your face then you probably already have a good idea as to the pros and cons of using a shaver for removing your chest and back hair.
The pros are you can do it quick and easily yourself in the shower in your home. Waxing on the other hand necessitates having a second person to help you.
The downsides of shaving are potential ingrown hairs since the shaver only cuts the hair follicle and doesn’t remove the whole thing like waxing or lasers.
Still, in the long run, shaving is one of the quickest and simplest solutions for amateur bodybuilders. It is also the most temporary, so if you only want to look smooth for your summer cut and then go full Sasquatch come winter bulk season, you can do that.
The best option for the smoothest cut is to get a regular back shaver which is electric and which cuts longer hairs down to much shorter hairs, then to follow that up with a shaving blade, non-electric, to cut those short hairs completely off for a perfectly smooth touch.
In our opinion, the best electric body groomer for men in 2018 is the Mangroomer Ultimate Pro
Mangroomer Ultimate Pro Overview
Mangroomer is a shaving company that focuses on engineering the best personal shaving solutions for hairy men. They are dedicated the the pain-free removal of body hair, including chest, and more importantly back hair.
The Ultimate Pro is Mangroomer’s best selling, most highly reviewed trimmer, making it truly deserving of the “Ultimate” name.
- The new ULTIMATE PRO Back Shaver's unique patented design will enable you to reach all areas of your back by yourself with ease and shave off all your back hair effortlessly, plus added Power Burst button to shave through extra thick and coarse hair
- 2 Interchangeable Attachment Shaving Heads - 1.8 inch ultra wide back groomer blade to shave large areas and longer hairs quickly, plus an additional foil body groomer bi-directional head for regular maintenance, shorter hairs and a perfectly smooth shave
- Shock Absorber Multi-Functional Flex Necks on both Attachment Heads effortlessly follows the contours of your back for perfect blade to skin contact at any angle, resulting in the ultimate shave in both comfort and closeness
- Extreme Reach Extendable Ergonomic Rubberized Handle locks into place at any length you choose with the new PRO XL Extension Lock Button, plus the new Power Hinge Easy Push Lock Button allows you to lock your ULTIMATE PRO Back Shaver at any angle you want
- A new advanced quick charge battery allows for easy and fast re-charging, plus a Charge Light Indicator alerts you when the back shaver is charging (red) and fully charged (green). Care and Cleaning: Rinse with Water, Wipe Clean
While big companies like Norelco, Philips, Gilette and Remington all make their own body shavers they are often more like suped up face shavers with body-attachments.
This means they are great for face/chest/leg shaving, but because of their relatively short handles make back shaving all but impossible. That however is where the Mangroomer excells.
With a fully exetendable and reticulated arm the Ultimate Pro is able to reach around over your shoulder and shave the hardest to reach parts of your back. This is clutch if you don’t always have someone around to help you reach those hard to get places.
The shaving head flexes so it can maintain contact with your back as it is pulled over the natural curves and creases of your lats, rhomboids and traps.
Once you’ve finished a full electric groom of your back then you can come back with a non-electric razor to get a perfectly smooth back. How in the heck do you shave your back with a razor you may ask?
Bakblade 2.0 Overview
Well, just like Mangroomer, there is a company called Bakblade that makes a unique long-handled shaver designed specifically for men looking to shave their back. Talk about a specialized tool! This thing is akin to the calf training machine: hyper focused and hyper effective at what it does.
The BakBlade 2.0 comes with an easy grip handle for sure-use in the shower, a retractable handle to reach even the lowers parts of your back, and a dual-blade holder for unparalleled closeness in shaving.
Since the BakBlade isn’t electric you can use it wet or try, in or out of the shower. The simple design makes this an effective solution for creating a shave similar to waxing in how smooth it can be.
- 60-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We are so confident you will love our BAKblade products, that if your expectations are not met for any reason, we will refund your purchase 100% guaranteed. We have an amazing customer support team that cares about our customers and your questions! Warranty only applies to items 'Sold by BAKblade'.
- NEW AND IMPROVED DO-IT-YOURSELF BACK SHAVER: You don't need to awkwardly ask someone else to shave your back anymore! While our unique razer blades go to work, the NEW ergonomic, S-shaped handle grants you access to all those hard-to-reach areas while applying enough pressure for a close shave! Perfect for men and women!
- SHAVE WET OR DRY: Our patented DryGlide safety blade cartridges have been specifically designed and engineered to shave your back & body with the option of doing so wet or dry. The cartridge housing that holds our DryGlide blades is detachable from the shaver handle for convenient use on easy-to access areas of the body such as the chest area. The blades will not rust or dull like our competitors, and the safety guard prevents cuts and razor burn.
- THE ORIGINAL BACK HAIR REMOVAL TOOL: Patent-approved DryGlide safety blade technology involves a one of a kind 4" blade and teeth arrangement that creates the smoothest and quickest shave on the market!
- REPLACEMENT BLADES ARE SUPER AFFORDABLE: Don't waste 1,000's of hard-earned dollars on waxes or other hair removal treatments! Don't mess around with electric back shavers or cheap knock offs that will rust and cut you. BAKblade is easy to use, does not require batteries, and offers affordable replacement blades. We've got your BAK! (Only compatible with 2.0 replacement blades)
If you have a girlfriend or wife around to help you can consider investing in one of the body trimmers from Norelco, Philips, Gilette or Remington, however if you live alone or are single then the one-two knockout punch of the Mangroomer and Bakblade are unrivaled in their body shaving supremacy.
If you don’t like shaving, or if regular back acne makes shaving uncomfortable (see our guide to reducing bodybuilding-related acne outbreaks) then there is one final, high-tech option for removing your hair: lasers!
Method 3: Lasers!
Lasers…they sound scary but women have been using these things for decades now without issue. Lasers work by zapping just far enough down to kill the hair follicle, which makes it fall out effortlessly, without penetrating all the way down to your pain nerves.
Does this mean that you don’t feel laser hair removal at all? Not really, there is a light zapping sensation, but it’s no stronger than a weak electrical static zap you get if you walk on a bunch of carpet and then touch metal.
Also, when removing hair over a large area you might feel a little heat, but nothing unpleasant.
Overall I would say laser hair removal is less painful than waxing, but obviously not as painless as shaving. It’s kind of in the middle.
The nice part about using lasers to remove your body hair is the hairs very quickly give up growing. Where in waxing it may take a couple years for the hair follicle to give up, with lasers it can happen with as few as 4-5 treatments.
Thus, laser hair removal is ideal for those looking for a long-term, more permanent solution to hair removal. If you want your chest fuzzies growing back in winter then you’d better stick with infrequent waxing or regular shaving as outlined above.
Top Laser Body Hair Removal Devices 2018
If you are particularly hair then we recommend using a professional-grade unit that actually plugs into your wall and can run for longer periods of time as the chest and back combined are two very large surface areas and the smaller battery-powered handheld units will almost certainly die before completing the job.
The top professional grade body laser hair removal device that consumers can buy is from a familiar and reliable hair removal brand: Remington.
The Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal Systems
The iLIGHT system can be found in both small business hair removal salons as well as homes across America because it is manufactured by one of the most reliable brands in the personal care electronics industry.
While you may want to skimp on money and buy something made in China from a brand you’ve never heard of, we would not recommend it when it comes to lasers. These can be dangerous tools so getting something from a reputable brand is more important here than elsewhere.
The IPL6000USB iLIGHT system comes with 4 laser units, each capable of 2,000 flashes. The technology is U.S FDA cleared and clinically tested. The iLIGHt system has a built in skin tone sensor to ensure the device is safe for your specific skin type. This kind of sensor is exactly the kind of thing that separates crappy laser units from quality ones.
The iLIGHT comes in various models, the IPL6000USB, the IPL6000Q and the IPL6000QFB. The differences are simply color, lamp material (glass vs. quartz vs quartz) and the number of flashes each bulb can emit in a lifetime. The USB is good for 1,500 flashes, the Q is good for 30,000 flashes and the QFB is good for a whopping 65,000 flashes.
With a solid brand reputation, thousands of positive reviews and a 2 year warranty, the Remington iLIGHT line is the king of the hill when it comes to professional grade body-hair removal.
There are a few other smaller portable units on the market, like the MLAY IPL laser gun, also FDA-approved and safe, but which operates off battery power, which limits how long it can be used and thus the surface area it can cover.
- PREMIUM GROOMING IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME - Enjoy top quality hair removal services anywhere you are. Our hair removal device features a compact design that lets you easily carry it with you whenever you go. Never again will you spend hundreds of dollars at a beauty salon.
- MOST EFFECTIVE BODY HAIR REMOVAL SYSTEM - MLAY body hair remover uses Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology to deliver the most effective permanent hair removal. It has 5 energy levels, and is going to give excellent results in only 4-6 treatments. You also get a 60-day money back guarantee with every purchase by E-mail us.
- 100% SAFE FOR YOUR SKIN - The latest IPL hair removal technology guarantees you complete safety compared to other methods of permanent hair removal. You are therefore guaranteed complete safety when you make this your hair removal device of choice. Wear goggles when using the device.
- IDEAL FOR USE BY MEN AND WOMEN TOO - Our IPL permanent hair removal device is the ideal choice for both men and women. It is ideal for removing hair from the arms, underarms, legs, back, chest, bikini line, and face. NOTE: Not for use on red, white, or gray hair and brown or black skin tones.
- RELIABLE CHOICE FOR THIN AND THICK HAIR REMOVAL - We did research on over 2000 persons all around the world.For thin hair removal:around 86.5% people thin hair is gone in just 5 sessions.For thick hair removal:around 83.2% people require 8 sessions.After 3-6 month usage,the hair is visibly less and hair-growth is prevented,we just need to maintenance in just every two or more months.
Still, the MLAY IPL gun is good for at least 120,000 flashes, has a skin tone sensor and because of it’s cord-free design is optimal for getting into hard-to-reach places like armpits, lower backs, or inner thighs.
Skinny Yoked Conclusion
There you have it, three completely different ways to go about removing your body hair so you can let all your hard earned gains be noticed by both the sun and people around you.
The goal of this article isn’t to say body hair is bad, it isn’t at all. As we’ve already pointed out many of the worlds strongest men, literally speaking, rock a very hair look. So do some porn stars and most of the movie stars from the 70’s and 80’s. Seriously, Sean Connery anyone?
Going old-school and super manly is perfectly fine. We do it ourselves between the months of August and March. Still, if you are into the art of aesthetics and want to make every las ounce of muscle shine, then getting hairless and getting tan are two of the quickest wins for upping the overall visual impact of your physique.
So consider dipping your toes into the world of manscaping come this spring/summer and see how you like it!
Last update on 2018-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API