Whether you’re all geared up or just susceptible to natural hair thinning then being proactive about protecting what hair you have left is something worth seriously considering.
Sure, the shaved head look can look pretty badass, and once there, most men seem to enjoy the look and simplicity of the style.
Still, there’s something to be said about making the most out of every stage in life and if you’re in your 20’s and early 30’s and want to ring the most out of your “hairy” stage, then this post is for you.
No BS Hairloss Shampoos That Get The Job Done
Some of the most serious ways to tackle hair loss due to genetic male pattern baldness comes down to A) taking a prescription DHT blocker like Finasteride, Propecia, Dutasteride or another potent DHT blocker that works from the inside out and B) hair transplants.
These two are some of the most studied and most impactful ways to not just prevent hair loss but regrow it too. There are however a whole host of risks to factor when sorting out your risk/reward ratio.
The oral prescription drugs for example come with a whole host of unwanted side effects and hair transplants, while probably the MOST effective way to get thicker hair fast, are expensive and time consuming, so much so that they often fall outside normal working class salaries and work schedules.
So, what can your average Joe Shmo do in terms of over the counter solutions to if not regrow hair then to at least hold on to the hair he has left?
Well, Skinny Yoked has experience in this department and we are sharing our hair care regimen which at the time of publishing only includes OTC methods. We utilize 2 different shampoo/washes containing 2 different chemicals to help strengthen and keep our remaining hair.
Active Chemical #1: Caffeine
Yes, I know, I drink three cups a day and always have a big cup of black coffee for my pre-workout stimulant. Well, we’re not talking about oral caffeine in this instance but instead a topical caffeine shampoo that helps stimulate the scalp which an help create thicker hair.
Apparently caffeine can travel down to the hair follicle and help stimulate activity. Hair loss for men with pattern baldness is thought to occur because hair follicles shrink up to the point where the hairs themselves get thinner and thinner until they are nearly unobservable.
Caffeine shampoos aim to shock the follicle out of it’s withering slumber to that the hair can grow less hampered and ultimately in a thicker and more robust fashion. Will you magically regrow your hair? No. Is it as effective as prescription Finasteride or other pharmaceutical drugs? Probably not no.
Is caffeine shampoo a cheap and simple solution for preventing further hair thinning? Yes.
Top Recommend Brand: Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo
German manufacturer Alpecin is probably the king of caffeine shampoos and they also publish all of the 3rd party studies that support caffeine as a hair strengthener. Alpecin make a variety of caffeine-based and non-caffeine (or decaf as we call them) hair products.
- Doping only for your hair. More and more men - not just athletes - swear by the caffeine formulas of Alpecin.
- CAFFEINE SHAMPOO: Alpecin C1 Caffeine Shampoo promotes natural hair growth. Your hair will feel stronger and will have more grip based on the especially formulated Caffeine Complex - German Engineering for your hair!
- EFFECT: Alpecin C1 Caffeine Shampoo recharges men's hair every day, cleanses the scalp during washing and has a refreshing effect.
- DIRECTIONS: Massage in and leave on for 2 minutes, from application to rinse to get your daily caffeine kick for your hair and scalp! Apply daily.
- Germany's most successful shampoo for men.*
The gold standard here would be the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1. It is their original formula, is the most affordable and has zero side effects. There is also a Caffeine Shampoo CTX which is designed for athletes (contains added taurine and micronutrients) and a Double-Effect Caffeine Shampoo with, you guessed it, more caffeine.
We’ve used Alpecin for over 5 months now and have noticed the hair remaining seems, by both touch and appearance, to be thicker than when we were using cheap non-branded shampoos.
Still, since we use a “trifecta” we can’t say with certainty this progress can be attributed to the Alpecin alone.
Active Chemical #2: Ketoconazole
Ketoconazole is one of the very few topical chemicals that have significant amounts of published independent studies showing the benefit it has to helping prevent hairloss.
Originally formulated as an anti-fungal shampoo for those with scalp fungal infections, people notices the odd side effect of thicker hair.
Numerous studies analyzing the hair-saving properties of ketoconazole were then carried out and have proven it an effective hair strengthener because of it’s DHT antagonistic properties.
Here is one example of a before and after with a man using a ketoconazole shampoo. If you Goole image search you’ll find dozens more like this.
Here are just a few of the studies that show how ketoconazole helps promote hair growth, even though that isn’t what it was originally engineered to do:
Nizoral Shampoo Overview:
The most popular brand of shampoo with a 2% ketoconazole content is called Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. Dont’ worry about the anti-dandruff part, all we’re concerned about here is the keto content.
There are a few other brands with this active compound but they are hard to find, you’ll have to spend a few minutes looking at ingredient labels at the pharmacy or Wal-Mart.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Dandruff stays off your head & shoulders with this dandruff treatment shampoo that helps relieve itchy & flaky scalps. When using your regular shampoo and conditioner use twice a week between washes. Works on all hair types & gray hair.
- KETOCONAZOLE: This dandruff relief shampoo is made with ketoconazole 1%, an effective ingredient that binds to your hair's natural protein to kill dandruff. Your scalp remains flake-free with the shampoo's thick lather & leaves hair manageable & shiny.
- ITCHY SCALP: Dandruff is caused when scalp-cells regenerate at an accelerated rate faster than scalps can handle. With hormones, diet, stress & genes, dandruff can be fought with the clinically proven anti-dandruff shampoo Nizoral, with ketoconazole 1%.
- DANDRUFF TREATMENT: Clinically proven Nizoral helps maintain a healthy scalp with the anti-dandruff shampoo that kills dandruff & controls itchiness & flaking. A soft shampoo with ketoconazole, use it twice a week between shampoos for a flake-free scalp.
- ANTI DANDRUFF: Fight dandruff and flakiness with Nizoral A-D if you've tried products by Neutrogena, Neutrogena T/Gel, Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Dove, John Masters Organics, WOW Skin Products, Denorex, and Biolage.
Safest bet is to just go with the Nizoral brand since you know what you’re getting.
We alternate between Alpecin caffeine shampoo and Nizoral and sometimes even mix them together. The thought here, and it IS purely bro-science is to marry the follicle stimulating effects of the caffeine with the anti-DHT effects of the ketoconazole in the Nizoral for a one-two punch.
For both caffeine shampoos and keto shampoos we work them into our scalp for about 30 seconds to a minute, making sure to really exfoliate by scratching with our finger nails. We then let the chemicals soak into our scalps for 3 or so minutes.
You can pass the time by shampooing your hair first and then soaping and rinsing the rest of your body as you wait for the shampoos to soak in and do their jobs.
Again, we have not experienced any noticeable side effects after using both caffeine shampoo and keto shampoo AND the two combined for over 5 months.
Best Hybrid: Hair Surge by Ultrax Labs
We recently discovered a shampoo that provides the same mix of caffeine and ketoconazole in Ultrax Labs Hair Surge. Seems we might have been onto something with our bro science? Ultrax Labs Hair Surge has fantastic reviews across the web and we definitely believe its efficacy given our own results experimenting with combining Alpecin and Nozoral.
- Highly Effective Micro Blend Caffeine shampoo technology
- TOP RATED 2018 SHAMPOO FOR HAIR REGROWTH STIMULATION -
- Contains powerful caffeine compounds which have been shown to reduce hair loss, stimulate hair growth and block effects of testosterone within the skin
- Most effective topically available shampoo formula for men and women
- Made in the USA & Cruelty free (Never tested on animals)
Ultrax is definitely something we’d consider getting for convenience’s sake however having the flexibility to mix or go 100% caffeine or ketoconazole with two separate products is also something we enjoy.
Skinny Yoked Summary
This isn’t a miracle cure kind of post. If you are genetically pre-determined to lose your hair the only two things that will prevent that in the long run are oral prescription DHT blockers and hair transplants.
However if you want to strengthen the hair you have, help allow the existing follicles to produce thicker, healthier strands, then incorporating both caffeine and ketozonazole into your hair care regimen might be worth considering.
Last update on 2018-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API