Thinning hair and baldness can be stressful for both men and women. It not only erodes your hair but affects your self-esteem and confidence too.
While it’s quite natural to lose around 100 hairs in a day, it’s also normal for the lost hair to grow back again.
However, the lost hair sometimes fails to grow due to a wide range of reasons including age, genetics, hormonal changes, stress, poor nutrition, medical conditions such as diabetes and lupus, and side effects of some treatments like chemotherapy.
Low Level Laser Therapy Benefits
The good news is that there are treatments and devices that you can rely on to regrow hair and avoid further hair thinning and balding. Laser hair growth helmets and caps can really help.
These devices use Low Light Laser Therapy (LLLT) to stimulate your scalp and promote natural hair growth. However, it’s important to do your own research before you buy a laser hair growth helmet for your balding or thinning scalp.
Sure, there are plenty of clinics across the country where you can go get LLLT treatments, however they are usually quite expensive and not covered under most insurance plans.
Given that LLLT is a long-term treatment, spanning a minimum of 6 months before you can even start to measure progress, we feel it is far more economical to buy your own LLLT device for home use rather than pay a specialist at a treatment center.
So to recap, the top benefits to DIY LLLT include:
- Scientifically supported research showing hair regrowth
- Lower technology costs making devices more affordable
- Convenient to do at home
- Moderate up-front cost but cheap cost over time
- Increased hair density
- Improved confidence
- **bonus**Feel like an X-Men character
What is LLLT and how does it work?
Low light laser therapy is a type of skin treatment that utilizes safe, low-energy lasers, usually red light or near infrared light (NIR) to stimulate skin cells and hair growth if used on the head. LLLT is used for treatment of skin issues, muscular pain, and more recently for hair regrowth.
Dealing with hair loss is no laughing matter. It usually requires a multi-pronged approach of topical treatments (like Minoxidil) and anti-androgenic topical solutions like ketoconazole shampoo. These daily regimen enhancements, combined with LLLT have the potential to significantly increase hair density and follicle thickness over time.
We’ve written before on the topical treatments for androgenic alopecia before here. This post will focus on the LASERS!
LLLT Results (Before & After)
To help you make a more informed decision, here is a review of the best hair growth helmets on the market today.
iGrow Laser Hair Growth Helmet
The iGrow laser hair growth helmet is a more cost-effective alternative to expensive hair spa visits. It gives you the convenience of treating your thinning or balding hair from the comforts of your home. It is a safe, FDA-approved laser hair regrowth helmet that can help men and women.
- LOW LEVEL LASER TREATMENTS: iGrow is one of few products and solutions that use highly effective LLLT stimulating light therapy equipment to promote cellular rejuvenation with laser and LED lights
- CLINICALLY TESTED, FDA CLEARED: In 2 separate, published peer-reviewed clinical studies, iGrow increased hair count by 35% in males and 37% in females in 16 weeks to help stop hair loss
- FOR BEST RESULTS: 4 adjustable columns, rotating weight distribution, customizable headphones and aux hookups for full scalp coverage and comfort while the stimulator system promotes faster growth
- BETTER HAIR: Whether it's male pattern baldness, male or female androgenetic alopecia, a thin or soon to be bald head of hair, iGrow is for all hair: grey, aged, straight, curly, african american etc.
The laser helmet comes with 51 LED diodes and effective low-level lasers capable of stimulating hair growth on your scalp. The LED diodes and laser lights target the bald sections on your scalp to energize hair strands and produce a luxurious and healthy hair growth.
The iGrow laser helmet also comes with an iPod or MP3 connector and headphones that you can use to listen to soothing music while using the treatment. According to the manufacturer, the helmet gives you a hair count increase of 35% after using it for just 25 minutes per day in 16 weeks. It delivers better results than most laser comb and brush products on the market today.
- A more convenient home treatment for hair loss
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Easily portable even while traveling
- Comes with an auto shut-off feature that turns it off after 25 minutes
- High-quality headphones
- It is a bit bulkier than other helmets but delivers better results
Theradome PRO LH80 Laser Hair Growth Helmet
The Theradome Pro is a laser hair regrowth helmet that’s not only recommended by doctors but approved by the FDA for home use as well.
- THE ONLY CORDLESS LASER HELMET: This convenient feature provides freedom of mobility while undergoing your treatment. There is no need to purchase additional hardware. It has clinical strength results without the ongoing costs. Theradome is MADE IN THE...
- FDA CLEARED FOR MEN AND WOMEN: Theradome PRO LH80 is an uniquely FDA cleared laser hair growth treatment for both men and women helping to slow or stop hair loss, thicken existing hair follicles, and help regrow new hair.
- THERADOME ONLY USES LASERS FOR BEST RESULTS: Theradome’s inventor is a former NASA scientist, with a PhD in Biomedical Engineering. Theradome uses cool laser phototherapy to regrow hair with no LEDs for best results. Lasers have high energy density to...
- RECOMMENDED BY DOCTORS: Bosley – America’s #1 hair restoration experts, and HairClub – hair restoration clinics for men and women for its safe and effective home use. Proven effective for > 98% of our customers.
According to the company, the laser helmet has a 98% effectiveness rate in hair regrowth. It comes with 80 medical-grade lasers capable of penetrating the scalp and reaching your hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
The device cannot, however, be used by pregnant women but can safely be used when you are undergoing hair transplant treatment or taking sensitive medications such as Minoxidil.
The Theradome laser helmet works hands-free which means you won’t have to buy extra hardware. You’ll even get a quick a user manual, start smart guide, micro-USB cable for charging, and comfortable foam pads for a good fit when you purchase the laser helmet. It is one of the most effective and comfortable laser helmets with a 100% 6-month money-back guarantee on the market today.
- Most users state that it gives you results in just 18 months
- Safe and effective hair regrowth treatment
- Hands-free, no extra hardware needed
- Very portable
- Slightly pricey compared to other models but delivers value for money
iRestore Laser Hair Growth Helmet
This is another effective device for the treatment of balding, thinning hair, alopecia, and receding hairline. It is an FDA-approved hair growth system that includes the laser helmet, a remote control unit, AC adaptor, and a useful operation guide to help you get started immediately.
- iRestore Laser Hair Growth System is a FDA-cleared hair loss treatment and medical device for treating alopecia, receding hairline, balding & thinning hair to stimulate hair regrowth for men and women
- 12-Month 100% Money Back Guarantee – Users can expect to see visible hair improvement in as little as 3 to 6 months (results may vary). If you don’t see results with our laser hair loss products in 12 months, send it back for a FULL REFUND
- iRestore has been clinically studied by doctors and been proven to promote hair regrowth for men and women in a recent 2017 research study. In this clinical study, an astonishing 100% of active male and female users saw visible hair growth with an average...
- Whether you're a man or woman, you can grow thicker, fuller, and healthier hair fast with iRestore's clinical-strength laser hair restoration technology. You can use it on its own or combine it with other hair loss treatments; physicians believe low level...
The helmet comes with 650nm red LED lights and 51 cold lasers. You can use it as a standalone hair growth treatment or in combination with other therapies. It is a lightweight, comfortable, and effective laser hair growth system.
- Durable design
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Covers the entire crown of the head
- More affordable option than most hair transplant treatments
- Comes with a 6-month money-back guarantee
- Takes around 12 to 25 weeks to get full results
- May limit movement during use but you only need to wear it for 25 minutes
Therapy Alopecia Helmet
This helmet is designed for people suffering from alopecia or hair loss that can be reversed. Keep in mind that if your hair follicles are dead, they cannot be stimulated to grow again, which is why some people who use laser helmets fail to see their expected results.
No products found.
However, the Therapy alopecia helmet is quite effective against thinning hair problems. It comes with 80 diodes with a wavelength of between 640 and 678nm.
Compared to most hair growth helmets available today, the Therapy Alopecia helmet is lightweight and more comfortable. It even comes with foam along the rim that feels soft and comfortable. You only need to wear the cordless device for 30 minutes per day to achieve the best results.
- Designed to penetrate the scalp and stimulate your hair follicles
- Comes with 80 high-frequency diodes
- Gives thicker and luxurious hair growth
- It takes long to show visible hair growth but it eventually delivers great results
iLlumiflow 272 Diodes Laser Cap
The iLlumiflow laser cap for hair growth is an FDA-approved Medical Device available at a cost-effective price. It is safe, painless, and effective hair loss treatment, thanks to its 272 laser diodes. The laser cap is designed for both men and women.
- Original - illumiflow Laser Cap is The Original OTC (Over-the-Counter) Solution for Men & Women, safe & effective use in the treatment of hair loss.
- Safe - This product is continually tested to comply with performance and safety regulations.
- Clinically Proven Tech - Proven out by decades of research and literally thousands of clinical studies, LLLT is right for you if you’ve experienced thinning hair, a receding hairline, or hair loss, and can even help you get ahead of hair loss if you...
- Beware of Copycat Brands - Don’t be fooled by recently launched brands that copy illumiflow claims and warranties. A better price doesn’t always mean a “better deal”. These brands leverage illumiflow's regulatory testing. They are focused ONLY on...
If you are looking for the most effective non-invasive alternative to traditional hair restoration and transplant surgery, this laser cap is your best option.
It is also easy to use. You only need to wear the cap for 30 minutes three times every week to get the best results. The laser cap has a hands-free design that allows you to keep on doing your daily tasks while wearing the soft comfortable cap. It even comes with an auto shut off feature that automatically turns off the lasers after 30 minutes.
- Solid hands-free design
- Comes with auto shut off feature
- Delivers great results for people with thinning hair or baldness
- Easy to use
- Good price
- Made of heavy plastic
Skinny Yoked Conclusion
A laser helmet provides the most convenient and affordable treatment for hair loss. The products we have covered above give you low light laser therapy that can significantly help in stimulating hair follicles and promote hair regrowth.
Are the dorky? Yes, very. But in the privacy of your own home, who cares what you wear on your head if the end result is more hair when you’re out in public right?
The iGrow Laser Hair Growth helmet is our most recommended product. It gives you truly reliable hair growth results and is available at a budget-friendly price.
Last update on 2021-03-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API